Chocolate and vanilla cream puffs.
The first time I made these I made them completely from scratch. This time around I took a shortcut with the filling. Instead of using a burnt sugar custard that requires a whole dozen egg yolks I used instant pudding mix and whipped cream. Read on for the recipe!
- 1 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (3.4 oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 (8 oz) tub whipped cream
- 2 cups milk
Puffs (Cream Vessels)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Mix together instant vanilla pudding mix and milk. (I added a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract to my vanilla filling.) Carefully fold, not mix, in 1/2 tub of whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate to set. Repeat with chocolate pudding mix.
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
- Place water and butter in a large pot and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in flour and salt all at once. Remove from heat. Mix until the mixture forms a ball and leaves the side of the pot. Cool slightly.
- Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl. Gradually add the beaten eggs, beating well after each addiction, until smooth thick paste is formed. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and make a slit in each one to allow the steam to escape. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- When the puffs are cool fill them with the pudding mixture. You can use a pastry bag to pipe the filling into the puffs.